Pages - Menu

Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Nourishing General Conference Weekend

      Last weekend, I spent a lot of time with my family.  It was a General Conference weekend, which brought with it the many different traditions my siblings have developed as they have raised their own families.  Of the many traditions, baking often plays a substantial role gluten-free or not.
      For the first half of Conference, I was with my second-oldest sister.  Her family doesn't eat gluten-free, which made me quite nervous.  However, she is always so accomodating to visitors, I shouldn't have worried.  When my sister hollered that dinner was ready, we all gathered in the kitchen and anxiously waited to see what was on the menu.  As my sis lifted the lid, I gazed intently to find that the pot was brimming with noodles.  At that moment I distress filled me.  What could I do?  I had to say "no", but I then what?  My sister would be crushed, and I would be left with regret AND an empty tummy.  However, before I could get too far into this thought process, my sister noticed my distress and announced proudly, "It's gluten free!" 
Relief washed over me, as did gratitude, for my sisters thoughtfulness.  Needless to say, the meal was divine, and all were satisfied.
     For the second half of conference, I was with my oldest sister, her family, and my parents.  I knew there would be less concern here, food-wise; because, my oldest sister and her family do eat gluten-free, as do my parents.  And, to confirm my assumption, as I walked in the door, the smell of homemade muffins greeted me.  To my great delight, my parents and sister had made a mountain of gluten-free muffins.  Could I have asked for more than that?  Certainly not!  The muffins were delicious and the company was top-notch.
     Conference weekend could not have been more perfect.  The messages were revitalizing, and the food was good too.


No comments:

Post a Comment