Pages - Menu

Thursday, November 1, 2012

From Rolled Oats to Quinoa

     Growing up, oatmeal was the most common breakfast meal for my family.  It cooked quickly and tasted great!  My favorite way to eat the rolled oats was with honey, a slice of butter, cinnamon, and almond milk.  Yum Yum! 

     However, though the oatmeal tasted delicious, I have recently come to understand that my body couldn't and can't process it correctly.  I didn't know it at the time, but it is clear to me now that the daily bowl of rolled oats caused my mind to function in an odd way.  The best way I can describe the feeling, is that my mind felt fuzzy and depressed.  Though, the feeling was weird to me, I didn't think it was significant enough to mention to my parents.  I soon accepted the fact, that that was simply how I felt in the morning before heading off to school.
    
     Upon discovering my gluten interolance, I accepted the fact that oats were off limits as well.  However, though my body couldn't handled the oatmeal, my tastebuds still craved that old-fashioned taste.  Thus, you can imagine how thrilled I was to discover quinoa. 

     Quinoa is a gluten-free grain that can be cooked like rice or rolled into flakes and cooked like a hot cereal.  It is packed with nutrients and tastes great.  For me, quinoa was the perfect replacement for oatmeal.  It makes my body happy and satisfies the craving I often feel for the unique taste of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment